DIY CREPE PAPER PEONIES.in craft, diy, paper crafts
I've had learn how to make crepe paper flowers on my to-do list for quite a while now, in fact I shared 6 of my favourites last year. I finally decided to give it a go last week and after a couple of disappointing experiments I now have a crepe paper peony I'm excited to share with you. Here's how I did it.
Crepe paper, floral wire, floral tape, foam balls, template (you can download it here), scissors, a pencil and a glue gun or some double sided tape.
The above links are affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through them I receive a small commission.
1. Start by cutting out all your pieces.
Print and cut out the template and trace around it to make 6 of the small petals and 7 of the large. Make sure the grain of the crepe paper is running vertically as this will help when it comes to shaping the petals.
Cut a square of yellow crepe paper measuring 3 x 3 inches and a long strip measuring 7 x 2 inches.
2. Add some glue to the end of the floral wire and insert into the bottom of the foam ball. Wrap the square of yellow crepe paper around the ball. Use floral tape to secure the excess paper.
3. To make the stamen take the strip of yellow crepe paper and cut halfway down to make a fringe. Apply some glue or double sided tape to the bottom of the strip and wrap around the wire. Use some more floral tape to secure the excess paper.
4. Take your petals and using your thumbs push away from the center to shape each one.
5. Apply a little glue to the bottom of each of the smaller petals and stick them to the stem. Make sure to overlap each of the petals as you go.
6. Next glue on the larger petals and shape the flower.
7. To finish cover the bottom of your flower and the wire by wrapping around some more floral tape.
Display your crepe paper peonies in a vase or use as eye-catching gift toppers.
I loved how easy the crepe paper was to work with and even though you don't get that amazing scent with the paper version you do get a bloom that will last and last.