Diy Stamped Clay Bowls.in air dry clay, craft, diy
I know, I know, more air dry clay. I can't help it. I love this stuff. You can find my other diy's using air dry clay here. This time I used it to make some diy stamped clay bowls, they're the perfect thing to keep on your bedside table and store all your trinkets in.
THINGS YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE YOUR OWN DIY STAMPED CLAY BOWLS:
Air dry clay, a selection of stamps or anything else you could use to make an impression, an ink pad, a set of small bowls, a rolling pin, a knife and some sandpaper.
The above links are affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through them I receive a small commission.
1. Take your air dry clay and knead until soft. Roll your clay out to about 5mm thick.
2. Ink up your stamp and press firmly onto the clay. Repeat until you have covered the clay with your stamped design.
Try not to press too hard as you want to be able to lift the clay away from the table easily and not stretch out the design. If you have problems with the clay sticking to your work surface you can roll the clay out onto some greaseproof paper first.
3. Take your bowl and place it upside down on your clay. Use your knife to cut around the edge of the bowl.
4. Peel away the remaining clay to leave the circle of clay behind that will form your bowl.
5. Lift your clay circle carefully and place it inside your bowl. Using your thumbs press the clay down gently into the bowl.
I found it works best if you try and apply even pressure as you work your way around the bowl. Where I pressed too hard the clay bunched up and creased and the pattern became warped.
6. Repeat until you have as many bowls as required and leave to dry overnight. By the next day the printed side of the clay should be hard enough for you to remove it from the bowl. You may find the clay is still damp where it's been touching the glass bowl. Place your bowls upside down on a baking cooler rack to allow both sides to dry fully.
7. When your bowls are dry, sand away any rough edges.
If you want you could add a gold or silver edge to your bowls like I did with these coasters or maybe even varnish them for a glossy finish. I've left mine as they are for now although I have been thinking about this tutorial for marbling with nail varnish and wondering whether or not it might be just what these little guys need to finish them off.
Don't forget to sign up for the Gathering Beauty Newsletter for more of the things I love and think you will too, plus exclusive crafts and sneak peeks into upcoming projects.
Want more diy/craft ideas? Follow me on Pinterest.