DIY ORIGAMI BOX FAIRY LIGHTS.in craft, diy, origami, paper crafts
I've had these blow up box origami fairy lights on my to-do list since last Christmas. They're made using origami water bombs, did you ever make them as a kid? They really are the simplest thing to make and look beautiful all lit up.
See what I mean. Cute, right?
Origami paper and a set of LED fairy lights (LED lights do not heat up and so will not affect the paper).
I found the most amazing origami paper on Amazon. It's by Folded Square and comes in a fantastic range of Pantone colours. I ordered the contemporary colour collection and I absolutely love it. The paper is a lovely high quality and the bright colours are fantastic.
The paper arrived beautifully packaged in this origami style box and even had a couple of free origami model guides included. I can't recommend this paper enough. I ordered mine through Amazon U.K. but if you're based elsewhere you can order directly through them for international shipping. You can find their site here.
To make your origami fairy lights the first thing you need to do is make a lot of boxes. This is a good sitting in front of your favourite tv show type of craft. Each one only takes a minute or and the whole thing from start to finish took me around an hour.
How to make an Origami Blow Up Box.
1. Fold your paper in half with the coloured side on the inside. Open out and fold in half again.
2. Open out and fold along both the diagonals this time with the coloured side on the outside.
3. Collapse the paper along the folds and fold it down to make a triangle.
4. Fold both the bottom corners up to meet the center. Flip it over and do the same on the other side.
5. Now fold the 2 side corners in to meet in the center. Flip it over and do the same on the other side.
6. Take the top flap and fold it down using the previous fold as a guide. Take this triangle and fold it back on itself to make a smaller triangle.
7. Lift the small folded triangle and open up the pocket that is underneath. Slide the small triangle inside the pocket.
8. Do the same for the 3 remaining flaps.
9. One end of your origami box should have a small hole in the bottom. This is also the hole that the lights will fit into. Inflate the origami box by gently blowing into the hole.
Carry on making your boxes until you have enough for each light.
Inflate and push a light into the bottom of each box.
Hang and enjoy.
Ta-da! I can't wait to make more. I think I might need a set in every room of the house.
Please note some of the above links are affiliate links. This means that if you purchase through them I receive a small commission.